PISCATAWAY, N.J. (Feb. 8, 2014) – With the help of five goals from redshirt senior A Scott Klimchak (Clark, N.J.), the Rutgers (1-0) men’s lacrosse team opened the 2014 season with a 13-5 win over Manhattan (0-1) at the RU Turf Field on Saturday.
The Scarlet Knights held a 38-32 advantage in shots, while collecting 14 more ground balls (41-27) than the Jaspers. Junior FO Joe Nardella (Cazenovia, N.Y.) won 18-of-20 face-offs, while sophomore GK Kris Alleyne (New City, N.Y.) made 12 saves. Defensively, senior Nick Contino (Branchburg, N.J.) and Nick Capparelli (Glen Head, N.Y.) each caused two turnovers.
Manhattan got on the board first as Ryan Payton scored the initial two goals of the game. RU responded, scoring the next eight goals to take an 8-2 lead into halftime. All five of Klimchak’s goals came in that span, while freshman Christian Trasolini (New Hyde Park, N.J.) found the back of the net twice during the run, also tallying an assist. Rutgers’ second and third goals were each man-down, including a score by redshirt senior M Anthony Terranova (Flemington, N.J.).
Trasolini extended RU’s run to nine goals, scoring his third goal of the game just 15 seconds into the third quarter. The Jaspers scored three of the next four to cut the Scarlet Knights’ lead to 10-5 with 2:24 remaining in the third. Rutgers responded, scoring all three goals in the final quarter, which included one score and one assist from sophomore M Zack Sikora (Clifton, Va.).
The Scarlet Knights are next in action on the road, traveling to Staten Island, N.Y., to take on Wagner on Tuesday, Feb. 18 at 3 p.m.
- Scott Klimchak tied his career-high with five goals in the game. He had previously done it two other times, most recently at UMBC (Feb. 23, 2013).
- Klimchak has now scored a goal in 18 straight contests, dating back to April 21, 2012 vs. Michigan. He has 45 goals in that span.
- Joe Nardella collected a career-high 17 ground balls. His previous best 14 at St. John’s (March 16, 2013).
- As a team, RU scooped 41 ground balls, its most since recording 44 at St. John’s (March 16, 2013).
- Zack Sikora scored his first career goal in the fourth quarter. He also notched an assist, giving him a career-high two points in the game.
- Nine RU players posted at least one point, while seven scored at least one goal.
- Christian Trasolini, sophomore Scott Bieda (Bridgewater, N.J.) and Nick DePaolera (Kinnelon, N.J.) each had two assists.
- RU improved to 12-0 all-time against Manhattan.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (@RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers men’s lacrosse, follow the program and Brecht on Twitter (@RUMLax and @RUlaxCoach) and Facebook. Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on our social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.