PISCATAWAY, N.J. (Oct. 17, 2013) – On a five game winning streak, the Rutgers field hockey team hits the road. First, the Scarlet Knights take on BIG EAST foe No. 17 Louisville in Louisville, Ky., on Oct. 19 at noon. On Oct. 20, RU travels to Bloomington, Ind., to face a future Big Ten counterpart Indiana at 1 p.m.
- The Cardinals hold a No. 17 ranking with a 10-4 (3-1 BIG EAST) record.
- UofL ranks 12th in the nation in points per game (8.71), 13th in assists per game (2.43) and scoring average (3.12) and tied for 14th in winning percentage (0.714) and goals per game (3.14) through Oct. 13.
- The squad is coming off consecutive losses to UConn (Oct. 11) and Brown (Oct. 13).
- Offensively, Alyssa Voelmle leads the Cards with 19 points (8g, 3a). In goal, Sydney King holds a 1.70 GAA.
- The head coach of Louisville, in her third season, is Justine Sowry.
Louisville leads the all-time series against Rutgers, 7-1. RU’s victory against the Cardinals came last season, 3-1, on Oct. 12. Senior Danielle Freshnock (Middletown, N.J.) posted two goals in the contest.
- IU comes in with a 7-6 record and an 0-3 mark in the Big Ten.
- Audra Heilman leads the squad with 14 points (7g, 7a). In the cage, Maggie Olson holds a 2.67 GAA.
- Most recently, the squad downed Pacific (Oct. 12) after falling to Iowa (Oct. 11) and Louisville (Oct. 6).
- Amy Robertson is in her 13th season as head coach.
Rutgers is 2-0-1 all-time against the Hoosiers. The last meeting came on Aug. 29, 2008, when the Scarlet Knights picked up a 3-2 victory in overtime.
Last Time Out
On its Senior Day, the Rutgers field hockey team topped Georgetown, 5-0, at the Bauer Track and Field Complex on Oct. 12. Junior Sophie Wright (Devizes, United Kingdom) led the Scarlet Knights with two goals in the contest. The win marked Rutgers’ fifth in a row.
The Rutgers defense held Georgetown to zero shots on Oct. 12. The Scarlet Knights held an opponent to no shots for the first time since at least the 2009 season. It marked the seventh time in 2013 that RU held an opponent to five or less shots.
BIG EAST Honor Roll
Senior Laura Rose (Washington Township, N.J.) and junior Sophie Wright (Devizes, United Kingdom) each earned BIG EAST Weekly Honors on Oct. 14 after a 2-0 week vs. Monmouth (Oct. 9) and Georgetown (Oct. 12). Wright scored three goals (two vs. the Hoyas) and Rose scored once against GU, while helping RU hold the Hoyas to zero shots.
The Wright Stuff
Junior Sophie Wright (Devizes, United Kingdom) leads Rutgers with 17 points (8g, 1a). Her performance vs. Boston College (Aug. 31) and at Vermont (Sept. 1) earned her BIG EAST Weekly Honor Roll recognition on Sept. 2. Most recently, she posted one goal vs. Monmouth (Oct. 9) and two against Georgetown (Oct. 12) to earn BIG EAST Weekly Honors on Oct. 14.
RU has faced six ranked opponents this season. The Scarlet Knights have played No. 19 Boston College (Aug. 31), No. 10 Duke (Sept. 8), No. 13 Albany (Sept. 15), No. 3 UConn (Sept. 22), No. 17 Temple and No. 16 Drexel (Oct. 6). The squad will face its seventh ranked opponent in No. 17 Louisville on Oct. 19.
Rutgers in the NCAA
RU ranked tied for 14th in the nation with 8.15 penalty corners per game and 21st in the country with a 1.55 GAA through games of Oct. 13.
Rutgers in the BIG EAST
The Scarlet Knights were at the top the BIG EAST in penalty corners, sitting first with 8.15 per game through Oct. 13. RU ranks third in the conference in GAA (1.55) and fourth in shots per game (14.08). Junior Sophie Wright (Devizes, United Kingdom) ranks tied for seventh in the conference with 0.62 goals per game. Goalkeepers Sarah Stuby (Roxbury, N.J.) and Shevaun Hayes (Melbourne, Australia) rank No. 3 and No. 4 in the league in GAA. Stuby’s is 1.54 and Hayes’ is 1.58.
Follow Rutgers Athletics on Facebook (www.facebook.com/RutgersAthletics) and Twitter (www.twitter.com/RUAthletics) for all of the latest news and updates. For specific updates regarding Rutgers field hockey, follow the program on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/RUFieldHockey), Twitter (@RUFieldHockey) and Instagram (@rutgersfieldhockey). Fans can receive timely information, including special offers and giveaways throughout the year on both social media outlets along with www.ScarletKnights.com.