BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (Nov. 11, 2013) – Despite four players finishing with 10-plus points, Rutgers dropped a 79-76 decision in its first road contest of the season at Alabama-Birmingham inside Bartow Arena on Monday night.
RU dropped to 1-1, while UAB improved to 2-0. Senior forward J.J. Moore (Brentwood, N.Y.) and junior guard Myles Mack (Paterson, N.J.) led Rutgers with 12 points apiece. Mack also posted nine assists, the most for an RU player since Marquis Webb had 11 on Jan. 24, 2005.
Four Scarlet Knights finished in double-figures in scoring, including junior forward Kadeem Jack (Queens, N.Y.) with 11, senior forward Wally Judge (Washington, D.C.) with 11, Mack with 12 and Moore with 12. Judge also recorded a team-best eight rebounds.
The Scarlet Knights turned the ball over just three times, the least for the squad since Jan. 8, 2005, and held a 43.1 percent to 42.2 percent shooting advantage, but the Blazers recorded 26 second-chance points to RU’s 10.
The Scarlet Knights jumped out to an early 11-4 lead over the Blazers, with Mack contributing five points in the first 2:52 of the game. UAB then went on a 12-2 run to take a 16-13 lead with 9:57 left in the first half.
RU answered, going on a 11-2 run, including three points apiece from junior guard Craig Brown (Miami, Fla.) and classmate forward Jack to take a 24-18 lead at the 6:00 mark in the opening stanza.
From a 24-21 score, the Scarlet Knights went on a 6-2 run to go ahead 30-23, and would eventually take a 37-31 lead into the half.
Junior guard Jerome Seagears (Silver Spring, Md.) came out in the second half and drained a 3-pointer on RU’s first possession to give the Scarlet Knights a 40-31 lead. The Blazers began to chip away and cut RU’s lead to one at 53-52 on a Jordan Swing 3-pointer with 12:02 left in regulation.
UAB would then take a 54-53 lead at the 11:23 mark, it’s first since being ahead 16-15 with 9:31 to go in the first half.
Seagears answered with a 3-pointer, giving the Scarlet Knights a 56-54 lead with 11:08 remaining. The Blazers tied the score three times after that, but Rutgers wouldn’t surrender the lead until UAB went ahead 71-69 with 2:50 left. The Blazers wouldn’t look back, securing the 79-76 win.
Rutgers returns to action on Thursday (Nov. 14), hosting Yale at The RAC at 7:30 p.m. The game will be available for viewing live via the web at ESPN3.
- Junior guard Myles Mack finished with a career-high nine assists. That is the most since Marquis Webb had 11 on Jan. 24, 2005 against Syracuse.
- RU committed just three turnovers, the least since the squad turned the ball over three times against Pitt on Jan. 8, 2005.
- Four Scarlet Knights finished with 10-plus points, including Kadeem Jack (11), Wally Judge (11), Myles Mack (12) and J.J. Moore (12).
- Senior forward J.J. Moore and junior guard Myles Mack led the Scarlet Knights with 12 points apiece. It marks the 25th time in his career that Moore scored in double-figures and the 40th for Mack.
- Senior forward Wally Judge led the squad with eight rebounds. It’s the 13th time in his career that he led the team in rebounds.
- Junior Craig Brown posted a career-high eight points.
- Redshirt sophomore forward Greg Lewis notched a career-high six points.
- With 18:43 remaining in the second half, Jack grabbed a missed shot and threw it down for his fourth dunk of the season.
- Of the nine Scarlet Knights that saw action, all nine scored three points or more.
- Eddie Jordan went with the starting lineup of forward Kadeem Jack, forward Wally Judge, guard Myles Mack, forward J.J. Moore and guard Jerome Seagears for the second time this season.