PISCATAWAY, N.J. – Junior guard Myles Mack (Paterson, N.J.) shot 6-of-11 to score 16 points in leading Rutgers to a 90-60 exhibition win over Caldwell College Friday evening at the Rutgers Athletic Center. Senior forward J.J. Moore (Brentwood, N.Y.) added 14 points in his first game in Scarlet, as four RU players posted double digits in the decisive victory.
Redshirt junior forward Kadeem Jack (Queens, N.Y.) and junior guard Jerome Seagears (Silver Spring, Md.) joined Mack and Moore on double digits, posting 11 and 10 points, respectively. Jack was 5-of-10 from the field with eight rebounds, while Seagears was 4-of-4 from the charity stripe..
The Scarlet Knights stifled the visitors defensively, establishing a 52-27 rebounding advantage while limiting the Cougars to 36.5 percent (23-63) shooting. RU also out-scored its opponent 52-34 in the paint. Senior forward Wally Judge (Washington, D.C.) grabbed 10 rebounds, while redshirt sophomore forward Greg Lewis (Baltimore, Md.), cleaned the glass on eight occasions. Junior forward Malick Kone (Conakry, Guinea) added seven boards.
Rutgers, conversely, had a productive evening from the field, making 52.2 percent (36-of-69) of its field goal attempts.
In addition to Moore, several new faces had productive evenings on the RAC hardwood. Junior guard D’Von Campbell (Arlington, Texas) was 4-of-7 shooting to post eight points, while sophomore wing Kerwin Okoro (Bronx, N.Y.) was a perfect 3-of-3 from the field to add six points.
Ten players logged 17 minutes or more for the Scarlet Knights.
Rutgers officially opens its season next Friday (Nov. 8) evening with a 7:30 p.m. tip-off versus Florida A&M at the RAC. The game will be available live on the web via ESPN3.
- Prior to the game, redshirt junior Kadeem Jack, redshirt sophomore Greg Lewis and junior Myles Mack were named team captains for the 2013-14 season.
- Eddie Jordan went with the starting lineup of forward Kadeem Jack, forward Greg Lewis, guard Myles Mack, forward J.J. Moore and guard Jerome Seagears.
- Junior Myles Mack led the Scarlet Knights with 16 points. Mack came back as RU’s leading returner in the scoring column, averaging 13.6 PPG last season. He had 23 games with double-figure points in 2012-13.
- Four Scarlet Knights scored in double-figures: Mack (16), Moore (14), Jack (11) and Seagears (10).
- Eleven of the 13 Scarlet Knights that saw action scored, and all 11 of them scored at least six points.
- Senior Wally Judge notched a team-high 10 rebounds. Last season, he led the team with 5.4 per game and totaled three games with 10 or more boards.
Five players saw their first action in a Rutgers uniform, including junior Craig Brown, junior D’Von Campbell, senior forward J.J. Moore, sophomore guard Kerwin Okoro and redshirt sophomore forward Stephen Zurich.