PISCATAWAY, N.J. (Nov. 7, 2013) – Preparing for its 144th season of intercollegiate competition, Rutgers baseball announced its 2014 schedule Thursday. The 56-game slate features 22 home games at Bainton Field and eight conference series. The campaign will begin Feb. 14 with a series at FIU.
“I am very happy with the way our 2014 schedule shaped up,” said acting head coach Joe Litterio. “We kept with the same philosophy as in the past, looking to play quality opponents early in the season to prepare for the conference season. While the league is a bit different from the past, the competition will be just as challenging.”
Playing every team in the American Athletic Conference, RU will host series against Houston, Cincinnati, Temple and USF, while traveling to Louisville, UConn, UCF and Memphis. The top eight teams in the standings will advance to Bright House Field in Clearwater, Fla., to take part in the American Athletic Conference Baseball Championship from May 21-25.
• The 22 scheduled home games are the most for Rutgers since 2008 (23).
• Rutgers will play six opponents that made the 2013 NCAA Tournament (12 games), including two away series versus teams that advanced to at least the Super Regionals (Oklahoma, Louisville).
• Rutgers will host five home series for the first time since 2009, including its first non-conference weekend (Hartford) since 1997.
• Rutgers will play 18 opponents that were also on the 2013 schedule and four for the first time in program history (Buffalo, Houston, Hartford, Memphis).
• It will be the sixth straight season Rutgers opens the season in Miami, Fla., and 32nd consecutive playing at least one game in the state of Florida.
• Rutgers will play midweek games against former BIG EAST foes Seton Hall and Villanova (site to be determined).
• Rutgers has never played a game in the state of Oklahoma and Houston will be the first team from Texas to play in Piscataway.